- Meeting Photo file
- PPT from Dr. Eilif Trondsen Powerpoint presentation
Need your feedback
- Is this WERN Meeting informative? Choice
- Is this WERN Meeting relevant? Choice
- Suggestions to Future WERN Meetings Assignment
Virtual Worlds—and Second Life in particular (although many others now exist and more are coming)—have gained a lot of attention in the press over the last year or more. Millions of users, of all ages, are now active in these virtual worlds. Although games and entertainment is obviously a key application area, more “serious” uses are emerging, and growing numbers of educators and training professionals are now getting involved.
In this presentation, Eilif will draw on the work he has done in the Virtual-Worlds Consortium for Innovation and Learning (see http://www.sric-bi.com/vwc) to address the following issues and developments:
- Quick primer on Virtual Worlds, including Second Life demo
- Review of existing and emerging virtual worlds platforms
- Discuss emerging applications for business and academia
- What should organizations do to get smart and ready?
- What’s ahead and what are the implications?
Eilif Trondsen is the Research and Program Director of the Virtual Worlds Consortium for Innovation and Learning (VWC) at SRI Consulting Business Intelligence (SRIC-BI) in Menlo Park, California. The focus area of his research and consulting at SRIC-BI—a spin-out of SRI International (formerly Stanford Research Institute)—is the use of technology for business performance improvement and learning. He has 28 years’ experience at SRIC-BI and at SRI International, leading or contributing to a variety of projects for U.S. and foreign clients in the private and public sectors. For ten years, Eilif held the position of Research Director of the Business Intelligence Program (now the Scan program) at SRI and currently leads VWC (www.sric-bi.com/vwc). In his tenure at SRI and SRIC-BI, Eilif has given numerous presentations on various eCommerce, eLearning and virtual worlds topics at conferences and to SRI clients around the world. Eilif has also the author and co-author of numerous publications on eCommerce, eLearning and virtual world topics.